Bypass Hidden SSID & MAC Address Filtering




The purpose of this blog post is to demonstrate why hidden SSID & MAC Address filtering should only be layers of wireless security used in conjunction with strong encryption such as WPA.

Below are the steps an attacker could take to bypass a hidden SSID and MAC Address filtering to gain a foothold on your network and either instigate further attacks or use your internet connection.

Tools
  • Kismet

The Attack

1. I first use kismet to look at the wireless networks within range.



My target wireless network is "batman". I can see from kismet that this has no encryption and the SSID is hidden.

At this stage I wouldn't know that the AP was using MAC Address filtering so I could try to join the network using:

iwconfig eth1 essid batman

Then I would try to obtain an IP address using:

dhclient eth1

The request for an IP Address would fail as the WAP is filtering MAC addresses.


2. Within Kismet I look at the clients connected to "batman" to obtain a valid client MAC address.



I see an active client is using the MAC of 00:16:6F:4D:AE:8C

I could then either wait for the client to disconnect or use a tool such as aireplay-ng to force a disconnection. As this is a test lab I will simply disconnect the valid client.


3. I check my current wireless card config using ifconfig



Note: I see that Kismet has not brought the card out of promiscuous mode. This will need to be done manually.


4. I now want take my card out of promiscuous mode, change my MAC address to that of the valid client, and join the hidden (batman) network. To do this I use the following commands:

ifconfig eth1 -promisc
ifconfig eth1 down
ifconfig eth1 hw ether 00:16:6F:4D:AE:8C
ifconfig eth1 up
iwconfig eth1 essid batman



I verify the output of these commands with ifconfig and iwconfig as i go along.


5. I now request an IP address from the DHCP server on the WAP using:

dhclient eth1



I have successfully been assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.202 from the WAP (192.168.1.5 hmmm this is useful to know as I can try the web interface on that using either default passwords (Kismet will tell me the make of the WAP) or hydra........)

If the WAP was not using DHCP I would at this stage configure my card manually and set up my own DNS.


7. I now test connectivity to the web using ping:

ping www.yahoo.com



my ping works, this tells me I have web access and DNS is working correctly.

0 comments: